Iodine is a vital nutrient needed by every cell in your body. In fact, your body can't make a single hormone without iodine.
Every cell in the body has a receptor made just for iodine. But if the body doesn't have sufficient iodine, the cells won't have the fuel needed to function properly. Instead, the cells will look for anything that looks like fuel. And that means the cells grab halogens which are considered toxic.
Learn how to gently remove those halogens, restore your health, and get the most out of iodine.
Difference Cells Use Different Forms of Iodine
While its lesser-known, there are actually two types of iodine. The first type of iodine is molecular, or elemental iodine. This form of iodine is a rare earth-sourced mineral. The second form of iodine is potassium iodide. Potassium iodide is a man-made salt that is more readily available.
The reason this matters is that different tissues in the body use different types of iodine. The thyroid gland and skin have a faster uptake of iodine in the form of potassium iodide. While other tissues including the breast, uterus, ovaries, prostate, pancreas, pineal gland, and lacrimal glands in the eyes, all have faster uptake of the molecular form of iodine. As you can see, both forms of iodine are needed.
Most people know the importance of iodine in helping make thyroid hormones, but it also plays an essential role in detoxing halogens from the entire body.
What Are Halogens?
In chemistry terms, iodine is part of the halogen family which includes bromine, chlorine, and fluoride. While iodine is essential for health and life, medical experts agree the other halogens are health disruptors that are not good for you. Bromine, chlorine, and fluoride not only impair hormone production, but they are also like bullies that compete with iodine.
That's why a complete iodine supplement like Thiodine is essential. It's an all-in-one iodine supplement powerful enough for whole-body detox as well as providing proper fuel to your cells.
How Iodine Helps Detox
During the detox process, iodine floods the cells and dislodges the unhealthy halogens which then need to be flushed out. A key to the detox process is preparing and supporting healthy-functioning detox pathways.
While detoxing of halogens is considered safe and good for you, some people experience some short-term side-effects lof detox. The healthier the detox pathways, the lesser chance of detox symptoms.
Tips for Handling Halogen Detox
Through the research of doctors Jorge Flechas, Guy Abrams, and David Brownstein, the Iodine Protocol was developed to help people prevent or lesser possible symptoms of halogen detox. Should you experience detox, consider discussing the following Iodine Protocol with your doctor.
Iodine Protocol Supplements
- 12.5-50 mg daily of potassium iodide and molecular iodine (Thiodine Lugols iodine liquid):
- Vitamin C 3,000-10,000 mg per day
- Magnesium 400 mcg/day
- Selenium 200+ mcg a day in the form of selenomethionine
- Vitamins B2/B3. 100 mg riboflavin and 500 mg no-flush niacin, 1-2x per day. Many patients prefer the form of non-flushing B3.
Priming with Selenium
For those whose selenium levels are below range, the Iodine Protocol doctors recommend "priming" the thyroid with selenium before starting iodine as noted:
- Patients with hypothyroidism prime for two weeks.
- Patients with Hashimoto's prime for up to two months.
Salt Loading Method
For symptoms of halogen detox, salt loading is one method recommended by the Iodine Protocol to help alleviate discomfort.
Instructions: Dissolve 1/4-1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt in 8 oz. of filtered water. Followed immediately by 12 oz of filtered water. Repeat every 30-45 minutes as needed until copious urination begins
“The body has to eliminate these toxic halides. One of the things that really helps us out is salt. Unrefined salt is a key part of the treatment program. I find when people used unrefined salt to help eliminate bromine, the detox problems with bromine and fluoride just melt away in the vast majority of people,” Dr. Brownstein (2)
Possible Detox Symptoms
Explained by Dr. Jeffrey Dach(3), below are some possible symptoms Bromine Detox:
- Cherry Angiomas
- Sluggishness / Lethargy
- Impaired Memory/Concentration
- Bromoderma (acne) on face and hands
- Disturbance of color perception
- Impaired Memory/Concentration
- Abnormal pigmentation
- Slurred Speech
- Emotional Instability
- Hair loss
- Vision changes
- Runny Nose
- Reflex changes
- Schizophrenic-like actions
- Metallic Taste
- Sensitivity to light
- Diarrhea / Constipation
- Eyelid twitching
- Dream changes
- Increased salivation
- Extensor Plantar Responses
- Kidney pain
- Dry mouth
- Body Odor/Sweating
1. Dach, Jeffrey. “Iodine and Bromine Detox With Unrefined Salt by Jeffrey Dach MD.” Jeffrey Dach MD, Publisher Jeffrey Dach MD Publisher Logo, 29 Jan. 2017, jeffreydachmd.com/2014/03/iodine-bromine-detox-unrefined-salt-jeffrey-dach-md/.
2. Detoxing Fluoride, Bromine And Chlorine Naturally
3. Dach, Jeffrey. “Iodine and Bromine Detox With Unrefined Salt by Jeffrey Dach MD.” Jeffrey Dach MD, Publisher Jeffrey Dach MD Publisher Logo, 29 Jan. 2017, jeffreydachmd.com/2014/03/iodine-bromine-detox-unrefined-salt-jeffrey-dach-md/.